Wednesday, June 08, 2005

1984 in 2005

I guess every so often I will have to quote the same section from Martin Niemöller, a pastor in Berlin who opposed Hitler’s actions.

In Germany they came first for the Communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me--and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Today the Senate Intelligence Committee voted to expand the powers of the Patriot Act, an already dangerous affront to civil liberties.

The FBI would get expanded powers to subpoena records without the approval of a judge or grand jury in terrorism investigations under Patriot Act revisions…Committee Chairman Pat Roberts, R-Kan., said the bill places new checks and balances on the powers it would grant, such as new procedures that would allow people to challenge such administrative orders. He called the Patriot Act "a vital tool in the war on terror" and lauded the Democrats who voted for it in spite of misgivings.-- Senate Gives FBI More Patriot Act Power
Oh now I feel much better and less threatened because some legislators in Washington are setting specific limits of how far and how fast the FBI can move against a perceived potential terrorist. I just hope they don’t “come for me” by mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments signed Anonymous will not be published.