Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Disappointment of Hillary

Regardless of what I may think of Hillary Clinton’s “moral compass” or whether or not I would enjoy having her over for dinner, I have always considered her a potential presidential candidate I would heartily support. After all, in my upbringing, and from some personal experience, I have found a politician to be just that—a politician--which is to say, one step above, or often equal to, a whore. Just the fact that they refer to themselves as “public servants,” when they spend untold sums of money to get elected to the job, is proof enough for me that they are not the high-minded guardians of the public trust that they claim to be.

Lately I have been disappointed with Hillary’s absence on the anti-Iraq Occupation stage. It seems she is more of a proponent of the status quo in that there needs to be a stable democratic unity established before she would agree to remove US troops from harm’s way. Maybe it’s a bow to the establishment and that’s, like, where we get oil from. Or maybe it’s a more sinister Machiavellian orientation I can’t even dream up. In any case, here is a snippet of a point of view from Cindy Sheehan, famous anti-Iraq War mom, which appeared on Michael Moore’s web site:

I would love to support Hillary for President if she would come out against the travesty in Iraq. But I don't think she can speak out against the occupation, because she supports it. I will not make the mistake of supporting another pro-war Democrat for president again: As I won't support a pro-war Republican. This country wants this occupation to end. The world wants the occupation to end. People in Iraq want this occupation to end.

…I think she is a political animal who believes she has to be a war hawk to keep up with the big boys.

…[After meeting with Ms. Clinton] I thought Mrs. Clinton listened, but apparently she didn't because immediately afterwards she said the following to Sarah Ferguson of the Village Voice:

"My bottom line is that I don't want their sons to die in vain... I don't
believe it's smart to set a date for withdrawal... I don't think it's the right time to withdraw."

That quote sounds exactly like what the few Republicans I talked to that week said. Making sure that our children did not die in "vain" sounds exactly like something George Bush says. A "date" for withdrawal? That sounds like Rush Limbaugh to me. That doesn't sound like an opposition party leader speaking to me. What Sen. Clinton said after our meeting sounds exactly like the Republican
Party talking points I heard from Senators Dole and McCain.—Michael Moore.com 10/15/05

Al Gore’s looking better every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments signed Anonymous will not be published.